Call for Submissions
Debajehmujig’s Seven Minute Sideshow has been entertaining audience members and providing a performance platform on the Island for over 5 years.
Every Friday in July, during Manitowaning's Community Heritage Market, a crowd gathers outside of the garage door attached to our black box studio located in the Debajehmujig Creation Centre at 43 Queen Street, Manitowaning. At 11 am sharp, the door opens, and a performance takes place for 7 minutes to the delight of the audience.
In the past we've had puppetry, hoop dancing, clown, contortion, short scenes, rap and opera performances, just to name a few. Whether you are a musician, dancer, actor, poet, or any type of performance artist, the Seven Minute Sideshow is a perfect platform to get your work out there.
Sideshow season 2018 is approaching quickly and Debajehmujig is looking for artists with original performance pieces to fill all four dates: July 6, 13, 20 & 27.
Artists interested in taking advantage of this opportunity should send submissions via email to both:
Submissions should include:
- Your name and contact information.
- A description of the performance in approximately 250 words. If applicable, attach a copy of your script.
- Provide at least 2 photos related to your piece that will help us get a better idea about what you want to present.
- A list of technical support required i.e sound guy, mics, lighting, etc.
- Indicate how many performers in the piece.
- Submissions due by no later than 3pm on Monday, June 4th.
- Priority will be given to local artists. However, all artists are encouraged to submit.
- The performance must be 7 minutes in length.
- The performance must be appropriate for people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Artists will be paid a fee based on the quality and scale of their work.
- Applicants should consider the performance space.
Stage dimensions: 10ft high, 19ft wide, 9ft deep*.
*These dimensions apply to the stage space just inside the garage doors. Most artists also opt to step out of the stage area and use the outdoor space as well. This provides a great platform for audience interaction and virtually unlimited space for the artist(s).